So, today is my birthday, and I am 1 year closer to the big 4-0. Nowadays people are saying that 50 is the new 40 and 40 is the new 30...is this good or bad? If 40 is the new 30, then I wonder what else will be "new" as I near another mile marker in my life...
Will the cell phone for my soon-to-be teenager be the new baby monitor that chirped at me for the first half of my 30's?..sounds scary, I think the baby monitor is more comfortable.
Will Jr High dances replace toddler play dates? ...I bet there is some similarity between these, though. All the boy babies would play on one side of the room, while the girl babies played on the other - - now, girls on one side of the dance floor, boys on the other....(or maybe I just hope how this is how it will work, at first).
Will picking up dirty socks (in various sizes) replace the changing of dirty diapers?...can't escape this one, no matter my age, or the age of the sock wearers!
Exercise routines replace afternoon naps?...can I somehow work both into my schedule?
Nickleback replace Nursery rhymes?...Nickleback, for now.
Global cooling replace global warming?...It was pretty cool already this winter, but lets see how high the mercury rises this summer before we decide one way or the other.
Monster truck rallies replace Barney birthday parties?...we are going to try the Monster truck rally this weekend -- but for either one, I think ear plugs are a must.
Stitches replace bandaids? been there, done that....for both...I am a firm believer in the power of paper stitches, and can easily remove genuine ones myself.
Coke zero replace diet coke ? - never!!
Hmmm - looks like there is a balance in there somewhere. If 40 is the new 30, I am glad that most of my 30s were spent finishing what I started in my 20s. (finished having babies, finished moving - at least for now). Now, in the dawn of my "new 30s", I think I will spend some time making sure that my 20-self and my 30-self are synchronized and recognizable, so that together we can welcome in my new 40 self on the appropriate date in the next few years. It seems that there must be some give and take for us to move happily through life. I am glad, though, that I still have a few years before I hit 40, to decide what I should give and what I should take!
In the meantime, though, feel free to follow along as I ramble and meander throughout our journey. And, thanks for keeping us company.
Monday, December 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment